This session will explore the concept of sentience. At what point does a robot or AI become a sentient being? What role will they play in our societies? We’ll take a lighthearted and interactive approach to tackling some of these deep and important questions.
- AGI (artificial general intelligence) is coming and there is nothing we can do to stop it.
- We need to stop worrying and turn fear into opportunity by looking at the ways in which AGI and robotics can make our civilization better.
- We have expanded our circle of empathy many times before to grant rights to different groups of people, animals, and even technologies. In hindsight these decisions seem obviously correct, even though they were highly controversial at the time.
- By introducing robotic rights we can expand our circle of empathy further to encompass beings who will ultimately help us to upgrade our civilization to the next level.
- Interacting with these beings and having them be an accepted part of our society will make us MORE human, not less.